|We are thinkers from an early age|
Research shows that girls are more likely to suffer from malnutrition, forced early marriage, violence and/or intimidation, trafficking, sold or coerced into sex trade or become infected with HIV.
It is only the girl-child that is subject to infanticide while still in the womb.
Plan International, a UK based, children's development organization, began a campaign called "Because I am a girl" in 2007. The purpose of the campaign is to fight gender inequality, promote girls' rights and lift millions of girls out of poverty. In their quest, Plan is producing one girl report each year in the run up to 2015, the target year for the Millennium Development Goals. Each report provides tangible proof of the inequalities that still exist between boys and girls. Their latest success was the United Nations declaration October 11 as the Day of the Girl.
- I have the same rights as my brothers, yet I am discriminated against even before I am born.
- I and 68,000 teenage girls will die from unsafe abortions this year.
- I and 62 million other girls are not in primary school.
- I and 2 million other girls will undergo female genital cutting this year.
- I and more than 100 million girls under 18, some as young as 12, are expected to marry over the next decade.
Below is a moving video based on the campaign.